Saturday, January 28, 2017

Learning to Practice Mindfulness

A couple of weeks ago, I started practicing mindfulness through guided meditation each morning. I wanted to learn how to focus my attention, and get back in touch with my creative self.

Here's what my initial sessions were like:

Welcome to the 7 days of calm. This practice will help you to deal with overwhelm, recognize unhealthy habits, become less judgmental and kinder to ourselves and others. 

Yes! That's what I need! My mind is way too busy. I have to play a show on Netflix to fall asleep every night. I'm tired of doing that.

We'll do a breathing meditation to calm the mind. Find a quiet place to sit where you won't be disturbed. Sit with a straight back in a comfortable position. Rest your hands gently on your knees. Bring your attention to your breath. 

Okay. I wonder if it matters if I breathe in through my nose or mouth? Probably not. Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe . . . I hope I wasn't wrong about what time my coaching call starts. No, I'm good for another hour. Oops . . . breathe in . . . breathe out.

Become aware of your breath as it comes into your body and leaves your body. 

Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe . . .  I need to order more food for Rabbit. I wonder how she's doing with the transition from wet to dry food? Ugh! I'm supposed to be focusing on my breathing.

If you find your thoughts drifting away from the breath, it's okay. Don't judge the thoughts. Notice them, and then watch them float away like a cloud. Return your thoughts back to your breath.

Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in . . . I think it's about time to schedule another hair appointment for Serena. I need to text Shayla to book time. Oh, and it's been a minute since I got my eyebrows done. I need to text Tram, too, and the groomer for Rabbit. I need to put all of this on the whiteboard so I don't forget. Dang it! Focus on the breath. Breathe in. Breathe out.

If it helps, count one, two, three in your mind as you breathe in, and do the same as you breathe out. 

Breathe in ... 1-2-3 ... Breathe out ...1-2-3 ... Breathe in ... I can't believe we've almost been married for 20 years! Amazing. I wonder if we're going to be able to go away for our anniversary? Wait ... I'm supposed to be thinking about my breathing. Breathe in ... 1-2-3. No judgment.
  
Now as the practice comes to a close, wiggle your fingers and toes and bring your attention back to the room.

It's cold in the room. Next time, I need to put on a sweater or something, and I need to pick a new place to sit.

Slowly open your eyes. Congratulations on completing day 1 of 7 days of calm. 

I've been practicing for two weeks, now, and I'm getting better at it every day - clearer, more focused, better able to process and manage my emotions. This morning on my walk with Rabbit, a new idea for the beginning of the novel came to mind, and I can't wait to explore it!



No comments:

Post a Comment