Monday, August 27, 2012

Songbird

This weekend, our daughter blessed us with one of the most beautiful gifts I've ever received.  I've been listening to the muffled beauty of her voice behind her bedroom door, and the bathroom doors for years.  I've been wanting to hear her really sing for a while now, but I recently stopped pressuring her about it.  Interestingly enough, when Dishon and I were trying to have children, we went through a similar experience - over two years of trying, and then as soon as we stopped worrying about it, there she was :).

On Saturday night, she decided to record herself singing Payphone by Maroon 5 (clean version ;).  She sounds so beautiful! I listened to the original, and I love how she put her own flavor into the song. I wish there was a way for me to upload it to the blog so you could hear it, too.  Maybe I can convince her to let me record her on video so I can upload it.  We'll see.  She's still terribly shy about singing in front of anyone . . . even us, and that's okay.  I've been playing it ever since, and just smiling and smiling.

That's the thing about songbirds, I guess.  If you see a beautiful bird sitting in a tree singing carelessly, sounding so pretty, and you chase after it trying to get a closer listen, the bird will fly away.  If you just go with the flow, however, and listen from a distance, letting the songbird have the space to just be, you end up getting to enjoy it more than you would if you chased after it.  Who knows?  The songbird might just come and rest on your shoulder, and sing into your ear.  Interesting life lesson . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment