Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Agony of Commuting


Moakley Courthouse from the back (the park is back there)
First, let me say that I am thrilled with my new job.  It’s a calm, peaceful place to be, which is exactly what I need.  I went through the harbor entrance into the building for the first time this morning, and it’s beautiful!  Lots of trees, flowers, and plants, and there are benches overlooking the water where I’ll eat lunch when it’s not so hot outside.  Everyone is so friendly, and the cafeteria has a marvelous selection of food every day.

Getting to work on the first couple of days, however, was very challenging.  I knew I was spoiled by working in my town for the past couple of years, but I really felt it on Monday and Tuesday.  I have now figured out a commute that works, but my first two days were very stressful. 
Day One:
I was already feeling emotional, because Serena would be leaving the following morning at 2:30 for western Canada.  I decided to drive in, because when I factored in the cost of gas, and what I thought it would cost to park each day ($10), it didn’t seem to make sense to pay for parking at the Braintree station ($7 per day), and the cost of riding the train ($4 per day).  Alas, I was wrong about the cost of parking.  Across from the courthouse, it’s $15 per day, and the lot is all rough and rocky.  I wish I owned a parking lot downtown.  Sheesh!  I could’ve gone to another lot, but I only would’ve saved $1.  I made a mental note that I wouldn’t be driving in again.  It wasn’t so bad time-wise, but driving down Dorchester (Dot) Ave. almost killed me.  I'm a pretty impatient driver.  I'm working on it, but I just need to keep it real.  Dorchester Ave. is a one lane road with non-stop traffic.  When it was finally time for me to make the left turn on to A Street near Old Colony Ave., I was almost hit, because I didn’t end up in the right lane, and I tried to bust a move, but didn't realize that there was an additional right turning lane next to me :(. 

I thought that going home wouldn’t be so bad, because Serena was at home with Dishon, so I didn’t have to worry about getting to Stoughton to pick the kids up from gymnastics camp.  I didn’t think it made much sense to enroll Serena in camp for one day, so Dishon stayed home with her, and took Cairo to and from camp.  The commute wasn’t hard – just long.  I went back down Dorchester Ave. to see if it was any better than in the morning, and no, it was not. 

Courthouse Station on the Silver Line
The next day, I was disoriented, and running later than I intended after being up in the middle of the night getting Serena ready to leave.  I decided that instead of driving all the way in, I’d drive to the Milton MBTA stop (only $4 to park there), take the trolley to Ashmont Station, get the red line to South Station, and then the Silver Line to the Courthouse station. 

We live in Randolph, MA, and the roads in the town are being developed significantly, which makes it beautiful, but a traffic nightmare.  Also when you get to the turn from Randolph Ave. over to Adams Street, it’s always backed up.  I spied an alternate road that I plan to try out another day, but I was stuck trying to make that turn at the stop sign. Grrr! :(

High Speed Trolley
I was able to park at the trolley station, and I had my 16 quarters all ready to pay for parking.  The problem, however, was that the trolley was pulling up as I was trying to pay, and you have to deposit the quarters into the pay slot one at a time.  Thankfully, the driver was merciful and held the door for me.  I think she felt sorry for me seeing me running toward the trolley with all my things (I had a bunch of stuff in my bag to personalize my desk – family pictures, African cloth, Serena and Cai’s artwork, etc.).  The problem was that I had neglected to see if I was on the trolley going in the right direction.  Thankfully, it was :).  

Ashmont Station
When I got off at Ashmont, I tried to load more money on to my Charlie Card, and after five tries, I was unsuccessful.  It kept canceling my transaction for reasons I don't yet understand.  Thankfully, an MBTA employee helped me to load it.  I was a little concerned about having to use my card again to enter Ashmont station after already paying on the trolley, but (and I know I sound mad old . . . ), I didn’t realize that the card stored transfers, and wouldn’t charge me again.  As a matter of fact, if you position your Charlie Card in your wallet properly, you can scan the card without even having to take it out.  Very cool.  I remember having to use paper bus transfers in New York when I was a kid, so the transfer being stored electronically was a bit fascinating to me.  

While I was loading my Charlie Card, I heard the following announcement, “Attention passengers.  There are delays on the red line due to a disabled train at Andrew station.”  Sigh.  There actually wasn’t much of a delay, though, so that was good.  I arrived at South Station by 8:40, boarded the Silver Line by 8:50, and got to work right on time. 




Getting to gymnastics camp to pick Cairo up after work wasn’t bad, either.  I have learned to be deeply grateful for working AC on trains, and the words: "Attention passengers: the next red line train to Ashmont is now approaching."  Woo hoo! :)  I haven't had the disappointment of Braintree tree coming first so far, which I'm thankful for.  I forgot how hot it can get on the platform!  I positioned myself near the first train car, but it was out of service (lights off and everything).  I was a little concerned about not being able to get on the second car, because it was so crowded, but lots of folks got off at South Station, so it was all good.  


I got to Cai's camp by 5:30 after leaving work at 4:00.  I was SO happy to see Cairo.  He enjoyed his first day at after care, even though some kid in his group during the day has been trying to bully him.  Let me just say that with me being from Brooklyn, and Dishon being from Jersey, hearing about kids attempting to bully our babies doesn’t go over well.  I think we ended up doing a decent job remembering our commitment to being Christ-followers while teaching Cairo how to stand up for himself.  Turns out the kid tried to take a hockey stick from Cai today, but he held it down.  That's what's up, Little Dude! :)  Our baby is a gentle giant, but I think he's seeing how important it is to establish a strong presence with predatory kids like that.  










Day 2:
Silver Line
So, today’s commute, now that I know what I’m doing, went much better.  I downloaded the Parkmobile app, and paid for my parking fees in a far more expeditious manner.  I even got to work with enough time to take a leisurely walk from the Courthouse station over to the harbor park at the back of the courthouse.  A very beautiful, stress-free morning, indeed.  And interestingly enough, I got the same silver line bus in the morning and afternoon - #1114, which was nice, because Serena's birthday is November 14th, and I sure miss her!

So, if we ever cross paths during my commute, Bostonians, I'll be that chick with the headphones on and the strong head nod, dancing while waiting on the platform while on the train . . . whenever I can, because like my mom, I have a dancing heart ;).  

4 comments:

  1. oh boy! sounds like a lot of transitioning from car to train to bus, etc...do you have a commuter rail in your town? might be worth trying out! thanks for sharing with us all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? I do, but the times that the train leaves in the afternoons don't work for me picking the kids up, so I've had to be pretty creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your description of teaching Cai to avoid the bullies... you being from Brooklyn and D being from Jersey... I had to chuckle because Mona and I are in a similar situation... being being from Hingham and Mona being from Hanover (LOL!!!)... I think you too win!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! We didn't actually tell him to avoid the bully … more like let him know not to mess with him in the future without doing him bodily harm ;).

    ReplyDelete