Monday, July 9, 2012

Career Transitions



After over ten years of working in public schools in and around Boston, I will now be transitioning to a new role as the Curriculum and Instruction Director with an organization called Discovering Justice. This new part of my professional journey feels like homecoming, in several ways. My mom just retired after over 25 years working for the New York City court system - the bulk of the time at Criminal Court downtown Brooklyn. My sister works as a Senior Court Clerk in Manhattan's Family Court, and my brother works for the D.A.'s office in Brooklyn.






This is a picture of the courthouse where I'll be working. It's absolutely gorgeous. During the interview process, I fell in love with the views of Boston harbor and the beauty of the sun streaming in everywhere. That's one thing that I look forward to. With the exception of a couple of school districts I worked in, school buildings tend to be a bit dreary. Ironic, huh? It seems like the places where learning, discussion, and ideas should be flowing would be the most beautiful on earth.






My son just came in while I was typing, and asked if there would be a "Take Your Son to Work" day where he could come in with me to see my new office. I can't wait to take them to see where I work. I think they'll love it. I think I will, too.



1 comment: