Saturday, November 9, 2019

Another Way Home

Sometimes I take another way home
Down twisting, winding roads
Past homes with fences
Long driveways
And landscapers cleaning up the leaves
Sometimes I catch the smell from fireplaces
As I drive by
And I imagine that the bathtubs inside
Are surrounded by heated tiles
And could fit these long legs
In a way my own tub
never could.
Our floors and doors need to be replaced
And our deck has definitely seen better days
The roots of our trees have
cracked our driveway


And our branches don't hold up too well
In the wind
I grew up where there were more bricks
Than trees
Flowers were more plentiful at the
Botanical Gardens
Than in the neighborhood
So don't get me wrong.
I am grateful for what we have.
Sometimes, though,
I take another way home
And I wonder
What it would be like
To truly
Live
The American
Dream

No comments:

Post a Comment