Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Little Me and Little You

Spending each day with you now makes me wonder what it would have been like to spend each day with you then. You know how in movies about kids hanging out with their best friends when they were little - they swing from tire swings on trees and fall into the lake, eyes closed, squealing, terrified and thrilled all at once? They run through the woods together, laughing. They hang out in tree houses for hours and hours, and they run through fields together catching lightning bugs just after sunset, put them in jars, and stare at the glow in wonder.

You were in New Jersey, and I was in Brooklyn. The only time I ever went to New Jersey was on field trips to Six Flags Great Adventure and Action Park that one time with Byrd (Yep - Officer Byrd from Judge Judy . . . My Uncle Byrd 😊). I didn't know you then, but if I did . . . if I lived in your neighborhood, you would have been my best friend just like you are now. I would have climbed out of my window after my parents thought I was asleep, and I would have run over to your house and tapped on your window. You would have looked up from your comic books, smiled, and come outside to meet me. We would've sat under a tree in your back yard, and I would ask you about your favorite colors and cartoons . . . I would have wanted to know all about your school and teachers and friends. I would have asked you what you wanted to be when you grew up, and I would have shared my dreams with you. I would have figured out a way to come to see you when you were in Shenandoah. After you sang Why Am I Me? I would have been the one in the audience clapping the loudest.  


Even though there were no fields and tree houses and fireflies for us, I am so thankful that Anita invited me to come spend that weekend with her before she moved to New Mexico, and that you were speaking at church that youth day, and that you were also at her party . . . so charming, sweet, funny, engaging, alluring, even at 17. Now we get to create our own fields and tree houses. When I see you . . . when I hear your voice, I still get butterflies in my belly just like I'm sure kids do in the movies when they swing so high, eyes closed, letting go of the rope and flying through the air . . . feeling free. You make me feel free.

4 comments: