Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Sometimes I'm in Texas (Ambassador College/University)

Me in front of Daisy (or Bluebonnet?)
My college doesn't exist anymore. When the Worldwide Church of God's doctrines shifted to mainstream Christian beliefs in the mid 1990s, many of the members left the denomination. The loss of the financial support from the departed members resulted in Ambassador University closing a couple of years after I graduated. My school's campus in Big Sandy, Texas now belongs to the International ALERT (Air Land Emergency Rescue Team) Academy.

I started reminiscing last night after hearing about Tom Petty's passing. A friend posted some of the lyrics to Mary Jane's Last Dance on Facebook last night ("Oh my, my, Oh hell yes . . ."), and wow! It took me back!

I can't take Serena and Cairo to visit my old school like other people can take their children to see their old schools. But sometimes I'm in Texas.

Sometimes I'm walking down to the convention center for my work study job with the Shipping and Receiving department. I'm in the office talking with other students about how I can make a little money selling my plasma (which I did once to buy hair for braids 😧, but I digress . . . ). We're making popcorn in the old school popcorn machine, and singing along with Rosco Martinez as he sings about Neon Moonlight.

Sometimes I'm walking down to the equestrian, thinking about things and looking at the horses.

Sometimes I'm in Longview, running across the highway to the movie theater with my friends, hoping to catch a movie and get back to the shopping trip bus before it leaves. 

Sometimes I'm piled in a car with nine other people going to Whataburger.

Sometimes I'm at Pizza Hut drinking from those red cups or in the Winn Dixie parking lot belly laughing after pranking my friends.

Sometimes I'm at a dunk contest, beaming because the best dunk was just dedicated to me.  

Sometimes I'm singing with the other Black women at the Operation Philia tribute to the Black men on campus.

Sometimes I'm running from the fellas who are trying to take me to the Barn Dance jail.

Sometimes I'm putting on a fancy dress, getting all cute for the Sophomore Banquet or the Senior Ball.

Sometimes I'm listening to Little Texas sing My Love, and I'm singing along, completely surprised by how much I like some country music.

Sometimes I hear the tornado alarms, and I'm in the storm shelter waiting for the all clear.

Sometimes I'm shaking the snack machine in the lounge because it kept my money and didn't release the chocolate chip cookies.

Sometimes I'm jumping up and down on my bed in my dorm named after Azaleas, being silly with my friends, and almost getting hit in the head with the ceiling fan.

Sometimes I'm riding my bike across the airstrip down to Lake Loma, pausing, and taking deep breaths of air fresher than I've ever breathed before.

Sometimes I'm in Texas.

Sometimes I'm in Texas in my mind.




No comments:

Post a Comment